Rollover 401(k) in Glendale, MO
Professional, Honest, and Experienced Retirement Planners and Financial Advisors
Rollover 401(k) in Glendale, MO. Starting a new job in Glendale, MO is exciting, but it can be hard to know what to do with your 401(k) account with your previous employer. Many Glendale, MO residents have found that enlisting the services of qualified financial advisors is the best way to manage a 401(k) rollover. At Correct Capital, our dedicated team of 401(k) experts and retirement consultants will help you get the most out of your savings. For rollover 401(k) advice in Glendale, MO, call us today at 314-930-401K or contact us online.
Rollover 401(k) Options in Glendale, MO
In general, you have four options when considering whether to roll over your 401(k). A experienced Glendale, MO financial advisor like those at Correct Capital will analyze your assets, savings, and 401(k) plan and guide you towards what will work best for you. Depending on your specific circumstances, it may be best to:
- Leave the savings in your former employer's 401(k) plan;
- Roll over your 401(k) to a plan with your new employer;
- Roll over your 401(k) into a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA;
- Take the cash value out of your 401(k).
Taking out the cash value should only be considered if you need funds quickly. Your previous employer would be required to withhold 20% of the balance to prepay the taxes you would owe on it. You may also face a 10% early withdrawal penalty from the IRS, and you would potentially pay even more in federal, state, and local taxes. Meaning, you could lose the majority of your savings.
It is important to note that many businesses in Glendale, MO obligate you to roll over the funds to an IRA or new 401(k) if your plan has less than $5,000 in it. Furthermore, you may be required to cash out your plan if it has less than $1,000.
Benefits to Rolling Over a 401(k) into an IRA in Glendale, MO
Your Glendale, MO financial advisors at Correct Capital may counsel that rolling over your 401(k) funds into a Traditional or Roth IRA is your best option. There are a variety of advantages to this strategy:
Pay Less in Taxes With Special Rules if You Have Publicly Traded Company Stock in Your 401(k)
Net unrealized appreciation (NUA) is the difference between the original value and market value of company stock in your retirement account. If part of your 401(k) includes company stock, you can transfer that portion of your account into a standard brokerage account, and roll the remainder to an IRA. The advantage of this is that you may pay long term capital gains tax on your company stock — which caps out at 20% for the highest earners — rather than income tax, which is often higher.
Pick Your Own Custodian
In a 401(k) plan, the money will be held by the 401(k) company your employer chooses. When you do a 401(k) rollover to a Traditional or Roth IRA, you'll be able to choose your preferred institution based on how secure they are, the ease of their digital platforms, and the other services they offer.
A Wider Array of Investment Options
While some Glendale, MO employers offer 401(k) plans with few limitations on your investment opportunities, most retirement planners find that IRAs offer more control and flexibility than employer-limited 401(k) plans. IRAs typically allow investment in almost any type of asset, including:
- Certificates of deposit
- Mutual funds
- Real estate investment trusts
Combine Your 401(k) Plans
If you have multiple 401(k) plans with previous employers, it may make the most sense to incorporate the funds from all your accounts into one plan. In doing so, it won't be nearly as much of a hassle to track the performance of your funds and you will be able to manage them more efficiently. Sustained long-term growth may also be more attainable.
Continue Adding Money to Your Accounts
While you can still reap the benefits of the investments and savings that are already there, you won't be able to add funds to a 401(k) plan with your previous employer. If you roll the funds out of your old employer's plan, you will be able to supplement your savings.
The financial advisors of Correct Capital will help you determine if a 401(k) rollover is the best option for you. We have more than 20 years of experience helping both individuals and families and business owners in Glendale, MO with numerous 401(k) services. When you meet with us, we'll help you navigate special considerations, for instance which type of savings plan fits best in your portfolio.
Why to Avoid a 401(k) Rollover in Glendale, MO
Each of our client's financial situation is unique, and your Glendale, MO retirement planners at Correct Capital may advise that your savings are best kept in a 401(k) plan; whether that be your an old plan or rolling them over into a new one. Some reasons to stick with a 401(k) plan over an IRA are:
- If you like the benefits of your current 401(k) plan. If the fees aren't exorbitant and you're getting strong returns, there may not be a great reason to roll over your 401(k). You are not required to roll over a 401(k) immediately, so you are free to change your mind and transfer the funds at a later date.
- No early withdrawal penalties if you are 55. While both 401(k)s and IRAs permit withdrawals when you are 59½, a 401(k) does not include a 10% early withdrawal fee if you are 55. So, a 401(k) may be preferable if you would like to retire earlier.
- Loans from an IRA are not allowed. While typically not recommended, if you are in a situation where you need to take out a loan from your retirement savings, it is important to know that you cannot take a loan out of either a Traditional or Roth IRA.
- Your employer can pay matching contributions into your 401(k) plan. Employers may contribute a full or partial match into a 401(k), while you are the only contributor if you put your savings into an IRA.
Click on the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Glendale, MO:
- Succession Planning
- Fiduciary Financial Advisor
- Company 401(k) Plans
- ESOP Advisor
- Self-Employed Retirement Plans
- 401(k) For Small Business
- Small Business Retirement Plans
- Tax Planning
- Social Security Consultants Near Me
- Retirement Calculator
Rollover 401(k) in Glendale, MO | Correct Capital
At Correct Capital, we treat each client individually and get to know them so we can help them achieve their objectives. Our team of retirement consultants, portfolio managers, and financial planners have over seven decades of combined experience helping Glendale, MO individuals and families with 401(k) rollovers in addition to several other wealth management services. As fiduciary advisors, we are legally and ethically obligated to manage your account in a way that benefits you and only you. As an independent firm, we are free to be direct and unbiased, and we are not bound to only offer you limited investment options.