401(k) for small business in Sunset Hills, MO. Establishing a 401(k) plan for your small business in Sunset Hills, MO provides numerous benefits to both you and the people that work for you, helping businesses stand out and provide long-term financial security to their employees. Beyond just attracting great employees, providing a 401(k) plan can also help both businesses and employees lower their tax liability. However, some business owners might not be sure if they want to proceed because of the time commitment, in addition to the complex web of regulations, laws, and investment options available.
At Correct Capital Wealth Management, our Sunset Hills, MO financial advisors and retirement consultants work with companies large and small to offer 401(k) plans that fit their business and provide stability for their employees. We take the heavy financial lifting off your plate while you focus on your business. Speak to a Correct Capital team member today at 314-930-401(k) or complete our online form to learn more about setting up a 401(k) for your small business in Sunset Hills, MO.
Benefits of Setting Up a 401(k) for Your Small Sunset Hills, MO Business
Setting up and maintaining a 401(k) for a small business in Sunset Hills, MO has numerous benefits, for you, your employees, and your business goals alike:
- Attract and retain top talent — Providing retirement plans can be a valuable asset for attracting and retaining high-performing talent, particularly in a competitive Sunset Hills, MO job market. Employees see a 401(k) as a valuable benefit, and offering one can help differentiate your business from competitors, especially if they are offered to people beyond the highest ranking employees.
- Tax benefits — Both businesses and employees can reduce their tax liability with a 401(k) plan. Matching contributions employers make are tax deductible up to the yearly corporate tax deduction limit on employer contributions, which is 25% of covered payroll. There are also several tax credits for first-time 401(k) plans and offering automatic enrollment. Employees enjoy tax-deferred contributions and potentially reduce their taxable income.
- Increased employee retirement savings — A 401(k) plan allows employees to save for retirement through automatic contributions deducted from their paychecks. Greater financial security ultimately leads to more productivity.
- Reduced liability — Employers owe a fiduciary responsibility to their employees when they provide 401(k) plans, which involves a wide range of investment knowledge and obligations. If you partner with an ERISA 3(38) Fiduciary provider to set up and manage your small business's 401(k), the majority of that liability will be passed onto them.
- Simple administration — When you offer your small business 401(k) plan with a 3(16) administrator, they'll take care of the critical tasks of employee education, compliance, and administrative tasks on your behalf, so you can reap the rewards of offering a plan without putting in too much work yourself. Moreover, advisors can help integrate contributions with your payroll system for further simplicity. If an employee moves to a new company, they can easily rollover their 401(k) to a new retirement account without much hassle to you.
Types of 401(k) Plans That Can Help Your Small Business in Sunset Hills, MO
Depending on what industry you're in, your "small business" may have up to 1,500 employees, or it may just be yourself. However many employees you have, there is a 401(k) plan that will work for you:
In any 401(k) plan, employees can contribute through money taken out of their paychecks. Most 401(k)s offer a wide range of investment opportunities. Employers can make matching contributions as an additional perk to employees. Most 401(k) plans must meet stringent nondiscrimination requirements, and are subject to annual tests to ensure they remain compliant. The IRS mandates contribution limits each year; in 2023 the limit is $22,500, unless you are 50 or older, in which case the limit is $30,000.
Sunset Hills, MO companies with multiple employees have a few different considerations to make when setting up their 401(k) plan:
- Traditional vs. Roth 401(k) Deferrals — Contributions made with a traditional deferral are taxed differently than with a Roth deferral. With a traditional deferral, contributions are tax-deferred, meaning it is pre-tax money, and the employee can then deduct the amount deposited from their taxable income. When the money is withdrawn it is taxed as ordinary income at the plan participant's tax rate at the time of withdrawal.
With Roth deferrals, contributions are made with after-tax dollars, meaning the money grows tax-free and there are no taxes when the money's withdrawn, as long as the plan participant has had the account for five years and is 59-½ years old when the money is taken out. Roth 401(k)s are becoming more popular as they allow employees to diversify their tax exposure in retirement.
- Safe Harbor Provision — If you decide to set up a Safe Harbor 401(k), as a business owner you would be required to make contributions that are fully vested when made. There are four ways in which an employer can contribute:
- In a non-elective contribution, an employer must contribute 3% of each eligible employee's compensation to the plan, whether or not the employee decides to contribute to the plan.
- With matching contributions, the employer must match 100% of each eligible employee's contributions up to 3% of their compensation, plus an additional 50% match on the next 2% of their compensation.
- Enhanced Safe Harbor plans provide a 100% employer match on up to 4% of an employee's compensation.
- In a Qualified Automatic Contribution Arrangement (QACA), employees are automatically enrolled in the plan and money is taken out of their paycheck unless they decide not to. The default contribution rate starts at 3% and increases by 1% each year until it maxes out at 6%, unless the employee decides on a different contribution rate.
Because you are required to make contributions, your company would not be subject to nondiscrimination testing.
Solo or Individual 401(k) Plan
Solo and Individual 401(k) plans are intended for owner-only businesses, or businesses where the only employees are spouses. Contributions can be deducted from taxable income and gains grow tax-deferred until the money is taken out. This allows participants to save more as they can make contributions both as an employee and an employer. Unlike other 401(k) plans, individual 401(k)s are not subject to annual filings with the IRS unless the account balance exceeds $250,000.
What plan works best for your and your employees depends on your business and your and your employees' needs. If you're considering establishing a 401(k) plan for your small Sunset Hills, MO business, make an appointment with a member of our team today to discover more about the benefits and options available to you.
How a Financial Advisor Can Help Your Sunset Hills, MO Small Business With Your 401(k) Plans
Given the great things a 401(k) plan can do for a small business, some Sunset Hills, MO employers may still be uneasy, as managing a 401(k) plan is complex and time-consuming. That’s where a financial advisor can help. Here are some some of the many ways that a financial advisor can assist with your small business’s 401(k) plan:
- Plan design — A handful of detailed Google searches are a poor replacement for years of experience and everyday interaction with retirement plans. Financial advisors can work with small business owners to develop a 401(k) plan that meets the specific needs of their business and employees. They can help choose the right type of plan, set up contribution and matching formulas, and establish eligibility requirements.
- Establishing and operating a plan — There are specific steps you must take when beginning your small business 401(k). You have to:
- Adopt a written plan document
- Arrange a trust fund for plan assets
- Establish a record keeping system
- Provide plan information to eligible employees
A financial advisory firm can do all of that for you, and handle the operation and annual reviews of your 401(k).
- Marketing your 401(k) plan to potential employees — The phrase "401(k)" might show up on a job ad as a bullet point, but many in the job market don't know the full benefits a plan provides. We can connect the words "401(k)" to definite steps to people living the golden years of their dreams.
- Investment selection — Financial advisors who are an Accredited Investment Fiduciary® (AIF®) and are well versed in portfolio management will be able to provide market insight, as well as work within investment concepts such as diversification, risk tolerance, and rebalancing to optimally position employees' funds for further growth.
- Employee education — The more an employee understands their 401(k) plan, the more it will help them. At Correct Capital, we offer both group classes and one-on-one counseling sessions with our small business clients' employees so they're confident with how their money is being held and invested.
- Compliance — Employers must adhere to various rules and contribution limits when offering a 401(k) plan. Not following the rules correctly can lead to harsh penalties. A financial advisor can help to ensure all of the proper rules are followed.
- Fiduciary responsibility — As a plan sponsor, small business owners have a fiduciary duty to act with diligence, prudence, and care. We are ethically and legally bound to do what's in your best interest, and in the best interest of your employees and their savings.
A financial advisor can provide considerable value to Sunset Hills, MO small business owners who are looking to establish a 401(k) plan. By partnering with a financial advisor, small business owners can provide a valuable benefit to their employees while also managing risk and ensuring the plan’s long-term success.
Call Correct Capital to Set Up a 401(k) For Your Small Business in Sunset Hills, MO
If you own a small business in Sunset Hills, MO, you want to spend your energy on why you started your business – not being distracted by administrative tasks you may or may not be knowledgeable about. As a Registered Investment Advisor with CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® professionals, Correct Capital can both help position your and your employees' money for growth while giving you peace of mind that your small business's 401(k) plan is being operated efficiently and correctly. To start setting up a 401(k) for your small Sunset Hills, MO business today, call Correct Capital at 314-930-401(k) or contact us online.