Small Business Retirement Plans in Chesterfield, MO. Offering a retirement plan to your Chesterfield, MO employees offers a variety of benefits, including tax reductions and a great way to attract and retain your highest-performing workers. However, for most business owners, it can be hard to know where to start. What type of plan is best for your business? What federal regulations do I have to follow? What happens when I want to change plans, or if I'm closing my business? Correct Capital's team of Chesterfield, MO financial planners has over 70 years of combined experience helping business owners and their employees get the most out of having a sound retirement plans and understanding the specifics of financial law. Whether you're interested in modifying an existing plan or are looking to create an entirely new one, speak to a financial advisor at Correct Capital today at 314-930-401K or contact us through our website.
What Types of Retirement Plans Are Available to Small Businesses in Chesterfield, MO?
Types of retirement plans vary; some only apply to businesses of a certain size, while some differ other areas such as employer contributions. Depending on your specific needs, you may open any of the following:
- SEP-IRA — This kind of individual retirement account is available to owner-only businesses, people who do freelance work, and businesses with very few employees. It functions similarly to a traditional IRA, where the money put into the account grows tax-deferred. You cannot contribute more than 25% of an employee's yearly earnings or $66,000 (as of 2023), whichever is less. Employers can deduct contributions they make on behalf of their employees.
- SIMPLE IRA — "SIMPLE" stands for "Savings Investment Match Plan for Employees," and these plans are often thought of as "start-up" retirement savings plans for smaller businesses that do not yet offer a plan. Employees can fund their own accounts through salary deferrals, and employers can also contribute. This plan is low-cost as the set-up is fairly inexpensive.
- Personal Defined Benefit Plan — This plan is reserved for business with no non-owner employees, or those with up to 5 employees. With this plan, an employee targets how much they would like to have in retirement, and contribution limits are adjusted each year based on their desired income, age, salary, and tenure with the company. While this plan allows for high contributions and a plan tailored to each individual, there may be annual fees.
- Business 401(k) Plan — 401(k)s are a workplace savings plan that offers employees tax breaks for contributions and allows employees to invest savings so the money can benefit them later. There are annual contribution limits. Most 401(k) plans come with considerable tax planning advantages for both businesses and employees. They can include:
- Traditional 401(k)s
- Profit-sharing plans
- Safe Harbor 401(k)s
- Automatic enrollment 401(k)s
- Individual 401(k) — Also referred to as a Solo 401(k), this plan is aimed at offering similar benefits to a business 401(k), but only for owner-only businesses, or businesses where the only employee is a spouse. A maximum contribution level is set each year, and the employer may make a nonelective contribution up to 25% of compensation or, if self-employed, an amount taking into account your earned income and deducting half of self-employment tax paid and contributions made by you over the course of the year. You can choose to open a Roth 401(k) account, or roll over pre-tax assets.
Each plan has its own advantages and drawbacks, and which may be better suited to you will be based on your business and your and your employees' needs. Different accounts have different tax advantages, costs, required minimum distributions, contribution limits, and more. An experienced financial advisor like those at Correct Capital will review your options and guide you in choosing the best retirement plan for your small business.
Benefits of Setting Up a Small Business Retirement Plan in Chesterfield, MO
The particular, financial-based benefits for your Chesterfield, MO small business retirement plan will largely be based on the specific plan you set up. However, a small business retirement plan, whichever one you choose, benefit employers and employees in the same way. Over half of employees say that a retirement plan is a "very important" factor in how good they feel at their present employment, while employers also get tax breaks and can better attract and motivate employees. Companies and employees will both enjoy:
- More financial security in retirement
- Tax deductions
- Contributions are simple with payroll deductions
- Contributions and investment gains are not taxed until they take them out
- Over the years small savings grow into considerable savings
- Ability to perform a 401(k) rollover if they change employers
- Attract, recruit, and retain talent
- Promote great work ethic
- Deduct your taxable income from your taxable profits
- Flexible plan options to fit your plan to your needs
- Tax credits that can help reduce startup costs
Do I Need a Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO to Help With My Small Business Retirement Plan?
Creating small business retirement plans is far different from setting up a personal savings plan at your local Chesterfield, MO bank. While the federal government does not currently require any business to offer a retirement plan to workers, some states require businesses of a certain size to have a retirement plan. Chesterfield, MO retirement consultants that have spent years helping business owners set up retirement plans are usually needed to not only make sure the plan is right for you, but that you follow frequently chancing tax and business laws.
As your Chesterfield, MO retirement plan consultants for your small business, our advisers will:
- Help you elect which plan works best for you and your employees, and the right custodian to hold plan assets
- Assist you in establishing your plan, including adopting a written plan, arranging a trust for plan assets, helping employees understand the plan's terms, and creating a record keeping system
- Help you operate your plan by staying compliant with relevant laws, managing the plan's assets, and distributing benefits
- Help educate your employees on your plan, its benefits, and how it can serve as a important aspect of their ongoing financial success
Correct Capital's Chesterfield, MO financial planners are fiduciary advisors, meaning we are obligated, by law and by regulatory oversight to do what's best for you and your employees. We work for you, and not our own firm. Request a meeting with a member of our advisor team today.
Other services we offer in Chesterfield, MO include:
- Self-Employed Retirement Plans
- 401(k) For Small Business
- Tax Planning
- Social Security Consultants Near Me
- Retirement Calculator
- Retirement Planning
- Rollover 401(k)
- Wealth Management
- 401k Companies
Small Business Retirement Plans in Chesterfield, MO | Correct Capital
Operating a small business comes with a plethora of moving parts and tasks to ensure things run smoothly — navigating the complexities of a small business retirement plan doesn't have to be one of them. Correct Capital currently manages over 30 plans for a variety of types of businesses, and represents over $230 million in total plan assets* across the United States. To set up a retirement plan for your small business, or learn what we can do for business owners, call Correct Capital today at 314-930-401K or contact us through our website.
*as of January 2022