Small Business Retirement Plans in Sunset Hills, MO. Starting up a retirement plan for you and your Sunset Hills, MO employees offers a variety of benefits, including tax reductions and a great way to attract and retain your highest-performing workers. However, many business owners understandably have questions about small business retirement plans. What type of plan is best for your business? What federal regulations do I have to follow? What do I do when a new plan seems like a better option, or if I'm retiring and my business will no longer be running? Correct Capital's team of Sunset Hills, MO financial planners has over 70 years of combined experience helping business owners and their employees reap the rewards of having a sound retirement plans and navigate the complexity of financial law. Whether you're interested in modifying an existing plan or are looking to create an entirely new one, call Correct Capital today at 314-930-401K or contact us online.
What Types of Retirement Plans Are Available to Small Businesses in Sunset Hills, MO?
The federal government and different financial custodians offer different plans and accounts for small business owners and their employees to better prepare for retirement. Depending on your specific needs, you may open any of the following:
- SEP-IRA — This kind of individual retirement account is available to business with no non-owner employees, or those with very few employees. It functions similarly to a traditional IRA, where the money put into the account grows tax-deferred. Contributions are limited to the lessor of 25% of an employee's yearly earnings or $66,000 (as of 2023). Employers are required to contribute an equal percentage of compensation to their own, however the contributions are tax-deductible.
- SIMPLE IRA — "SIMPLE" is an acronym for "Savings Investment Match Plan for Employees," and these individual retirement accounts are for businesses with up to 100 employees. Contributions are made through salary deferrals and employer contributions. This plan is low-cost as employees usually make the majority of the contribution, and employer contributions can be deducted as a business expense.
- Personal Defined Benefit Plan — This plan is only available to owner-only businesses, or employers with up to 5 employees. With this plan, you target a desired level of retirement income, and contribution limits are adjusted annually based on their desired income, age, salary, and tenure with the company. While this plan is highly customizable and allows for significant contributions, there may be annual fees.
- Business 401(k) Plan — 401(k)s are available to by private companies of any size, and are highly customizable. Employees may defer their salary as contributions, and employers can make annual contributions. Most 401(k) plans come with considerable tax planning advantages for both employers and workers. They can include:
- Traditional 401(k)s
- Profit-sharing plans
- Safe Harbor 401(k)s
- Automatic enrollment 401(k)s
- Individual 401(k) — Also referred to as an i401(k), this plan has many of the same rules and benefits as a business 401(k), but businesses made up only of an owner or of spouses. You can contribute up to the annual 401(k) limit each year, and the employer may make a nonelective contribution up to 25% of compensation or, if self-employed, an amount taking into account your earned income and deducting half of self-employment tax paid and contributions made by you over the course of the year. You may also decide to open a Roth 401(k) account, or roll over pre-tax assets.
There are pros and cons to each plan, and which may be better suited to you will depend on the nature of your business and your employees' needs. Different retirement have different tax advantages, expenses, required minimum distributions, limits on how much you can put in each year, and more. A knowledgeable financial advisor like ours here at Correct Capital will be able to help you determine which plan works best for you and your team.
Why You Should Set Up a Small Business Retirement Plan in Sunset Hills, MO
The particular, financial-based advantages to your Sunset Hills, MO small business retirement plan will largely be based on the specific plan you choose. That said, there are many general benefits of setting up a small business retirement plan for both businesses and workers. 60% of employees responded to a survey stating it is a "very important" factor in job satisfaction, while employers reap the benefits both during tax season and in office productivity. Companies and employees will both enjoy:
- Improved confidence in their retirement planning
- Tax deductions
- Contributions can be easily made through salary deferral
- Contributions and investment gains are not taxed until they withdraw them
- Over the years small savings grow into considerable sums of money
- Ability to conduct a 401(k) rollover if it's beneficial down the road
- Attract, recruit, and retain high performers
- Promote great work ethic
- Employer contributions are tax-deductible
- Highly customized plans are available
- Tax credits that can help reduce startup costs
Do I Need a Financial Advisor in Sunset Hills, MO to Assist With My Small Business Retirement Plan?
Creating small business retirement plans is not the same thing as setting up a personal account at your local Sunset Hills, MO bank. While the federal government does not currently obligate any company to offer a retirement plan to employees, certain states require employers with a minimum number of employees to offer access to a retirement plan. Sunset Hills, MO retirement consultants that are experienced in helping business owners set up retirement plans are usually needed to not only make sure the plan is right for you, but that you follow frequently chancing tax and business laws.
As your Sunset Hills, MO retirement plan consultants for your small business, our team will:
- Help you choose the best plan for you, and which financial institution should house the assets
- Assist you in establishing your plan, including creating a document that complies with IRS code, establishing a trust for plan assets, helping employees understand the plan's terms, and implementing a record keeping system
- Help you operate your plan by keeping up-to-date with applicable laws, managing the plan's assets, and distributing benefits
- Help educate your employees on your plan, its benefits, and how they can use it as a component to their ongoing financial health
Correct Capital's Sunset Hills, MO advisors hold ourselves to the fiduciary standard, meaning we are obligated, by law and by regulatory oversight to only offer advice based on what we believe is in your best interest. We work for you, and not our own firm. Schedule a meeting with a member of our advisor team today.
Other services we offer in Sunset Hills, MO include:
- Self-Employed Retirement Plans
- 401(k) For Small Business
- Tax Planning
- Social Security Consultants Near Me
- Retirement Calculator
- Retirement Planning
- Rollover 401(k)
- Wealth Management
- 401k Companies
Small Business Retirement Plans in Sunset Hills, MO | Correct Capital
Operating a small business involves countless daily, monthly, and annual tasks to ensure things run smoothly — navigating the complexities of a small business retirement plan doesn't have to be one of them. Correct Capital currently manages over 30 plans for a variety of types of businesses, and represents over $230 million in total plan assets* nationwide. To set up a retirement plan for your small business, or learn what other services we offer to business owners, call Correct Capital today at 314-930-401K or contact us through our website.
*as of January 2022